Monday, June 28, 2010

"Refiner's Fire"

Well the Lord has very literally "lit me up" this past week. Just wanted to share with you my lesson about selfishness. So....
It was just me and Delores on the compound...which never happens. Usually there is at least 5 people here during the day. It was also one of the only times Kristi was out doing something without me. Well anyways, I got a bright idea to make a cake since Kristi was gone. No, not to be nice...just because we usually fight over the cake batter and it was my opportunity to get it all...wa ha ha ha (evil laugh). I get a little selfish when it comes to cake batter just so you know. I usually try sneaking a few licks before Kristi notices and then she gets really mad and we fight like a couple fourth graders. So, as you see, this was the PERFECT situation for victory.
The preparations for the cake went smoothly. I greased my pan and got all the ingredients out. I also lit the gas oven...a task I hadn't done before. I spent the next ten minutes mixing my batter while the oven was preheating...or so I thought. When I went to put the cake in the flame was gone from the stove! So naturally I went to relight it. Found out this isn't such a good idea when the gas has been on for ten minutes along with the oven switch. The next thing I saw was an oven engulfed in flames and I soon found myself blown into the wall behind me. Luckily the flames went down right away and nothing was hurt..well except my right arm which was covered in black ash which I soon found out was the remains of my arm hair. Gross. Delores, luckily a nurse, handled the situation like a champ. I was in shock of course for the first five minutes and didn't know what emotion to have. As she ran to the warehouse to get cream for my arm, I didn't really concentrate on anything else besides the cake batter sitting a few feet away from me. With my crispy arm under a stream of cold water preventing the pain from coming to the surface I reached for a lick of the batter. To my dismay my body was too shocked to taste it!! Mission failed. Now I wrap my arm up in an ugly cast every day with a horrible story to go along with it. God has taught me my lesson! Share the batter...or get someone else to light the stove!

What a refining fire the Lord is.

In better news, Campbellsville has written an article on our trip! Check it out at www.campbellsvilletigers.com.

Jordan

1 comment:

  1. That's a good lesson! It's awesome to hear how you can translate what could have been a bad situation into a lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete